Since its establishment, The Royal Navy of Oman (RNO) , has adhered to providing the technical training and developing the training programs for its affiliates . Therefore, the 1st of January 1978 witnessed the establishment of RNO Naval Training Centre ( NTC) in the Wilayat of Sur, Asharqia Southern Governorate, where it played a vital role in the training and qualifying of RNO's officers and ratings.
In October 1986, NTC was moved from Sur to Wudam Assahil, Wilayat of Almusanah, Albatnah Southern Governorate. Its opening at that time was a remarkable event in RNO. The moving of NTC played a great role in training support in accordance with modern calibers as well as providing latest equipment and highly trained staff in order to be the biggest training edifice in the RNO.
With the continuous development of MOD and the Sultan's Armed Forces (SAF) , HM Sultan Qaboos bin Said, the Supreme Commander of the Sultan Armed Forces, approved the new name "Sultan Qaboos Naval Academy (SQNA)" on 1st June 2011,raising RNOTC to a higher level.
The main task of SQNA is represented by training and qualifying all officers and officer cadets (Dhubat Murashaheen, DMs) in addition to providing basic training for new recruits (NE) when they join the RNO. Some ratings join advanced courses before their advancement to get their share of training. To support specialized training , SQNA is providing basic training in different knowledge fields such as English Language, Science, Mathematics, Computer beside specialized training on Leadership, Management, Firefighting and Damage Control, Prevention from Chemical Warfare, and Catering.
SQNA is playing a considerable role in training and qualifying Omani ratings before joining the practical life in different service branches. It holds most of the service's courses by targeting the operational requirements of ships and bases in addition to fulfilling officers and ratings training needs to be able to carry out their tasks efficiently.
SQNA has several schools that hold different courses .The schools are as the following:
1. Officers Training School (OTS):
- Foundation Officers Course (OFC).
2. Murashaheen Training School(MTS):
- DMs Qualifying Course( holders of General Diploma- MTC).
- DMs Qualifying Course(holders of Bachelor's degree - GOC).
- Limited Service Officers Qualifying Course (LSC).
3. Principle Warfare Officers School :
- Principle Warfare Officers Course(PWO).
4. Naval Junior Staff School:
- Officers Administration Course.
- Naval Junior Staff Course(NJSC).
5. Operational Training School:
- Assistant Navigation Officer (ANO) Course.
6. Hydrographic Training School:
- Hydro Technicians Basic Course.
7. Academic Studies School:
- ICDL Courses.
- English Language Courses.
-Math and Science Courses.
8. Catering School:
- Basic Cooks Course.
- Basic Stewards Course.
9. Leadership and Management Training School(LMTS):
- Raqeeb's Leadership Course.
- Raqeeb's Divisional Management Course(RDMC).
10. General Naval Training School:
- NE (Jd's)Course.
11. Technical Training School:
- Mechanic Technician Course (Diploma holders).
- Electric Technician Course (Diploma holders).
- Electronics Technician Course.
12. Firefighting and Chemical Warfare School:
- Basic FF & CW Course.