A Brief History of the Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS)




RAO_M3.jpg

A Brief History of the Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS)




The early stage of the medical services goes back to 1920, where it comprised a small medical team with limited facilities at Bait Al Falaj Camp. In the early sixties, two medical centers were established in Northern Frontier Regiment (NFR) and Muscat Regiment (MR). Both centers were also handling medical staff training. In 1967, a training centre was established at Bait Al Falaj Camp, and in 1969 the medical services were titled as "Armed Forces Medical Unit". The name was changed again to "Armed Forces Medical Services" in 1973. Nowadays, AFMS comprise many hospitals and medical centers which serve all SAF units and formations.

The Armed Forces Hospital (AFH) in Al Koudh was opened in 1985. The hospital is fully equipped with the latest medical instruments in order to provide medical care for SAF personnel and their families.     

​​